coffeeicecream3

I recently had the great fortune to stumble upon an amazing new coffee roaster in Ireland. They go by Red Rooster and are an American family-run business who prepare fairtrade beans in their special cast-iron roaster just outside of Galway City. Since I am constantly craving a truly proper cup of jo, I placed an order and waited (im)patiently for its delivery.

When the parcel of coffee arrived in our kitchen, its ridiculously alluring aroma filled every corner of the room. The scent took me straight back to city cafes with artisan roasters that sit in the corner and work away, while you sip your coffee and work away too. The Red Rooster full-bodied blends all boast a sweet, smokey fragrance that imbues comfort, yet shakes you awake before you even brew it.

From the minute I took a sip of a deep, dark roast, aptly named “Farmer’s Friend,” I started dreaming about coffee ice cream. The kind all the grown-ups ordered while we were handed our double-dip of blue moon when we were kids. Now, as an adult I crave coffee ice cream along with the memories of those long hot American summer days.

As you know, ice cream comes easy here. Fresh sweet cream abounds. So, Geoffrey and I make the ice cream on an unusually warm Irish day. He actually likes the strong flavour. He eats two scoops and plays outside for three hours. When he comes back into the house, he asks if we can just make plain chocolate next time. I agree.

buttercups

If you want to add a little Irish Whiskey to this recipe, feel free. Then you’ll have Irish-Irish Coffee Ice Cream.  We did that too. It was a hit for a small dinner party we hosted recently. If you like ice cream in your coffee, slip a scoop of sweet cream ice cream into a small cup of strong, velvety Red Rooster coffee and you have an amazing affogato. Have done that one too many times this week.

affogato

Slurrrrp.

Irish Coffee Ice Cream
Makes 1.5 pints

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups whole or ground Red Rooster beans {decaf if you don’t want the caffeine + any quality coffee will work}
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 cup Irish whiskey {optional}

METHOD
1. Heat the milk, sugar, coffee, salt, and cream in a medium saucepan until the sugar is melted and it is warm and steamy, but not boiling. Once the mixture is warm, remove from the heat, and let steep at room temperature for 1 hour.
2. Strain creamy coffee mixture into a ceramic bowl. Mix in the vanilla {and whiskey if using}
3. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator overnight, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Or, use a hand churn method.

{for a metric conversion chart, click here}

Photos and styling by Imen McDonnell 2013. Imperfect hand model: a certain farmer. This post was not sponsored in any way by Red Rooster coffee-it simply just rocks my world.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

47 Responses to “Irish Coffee Ice Cream”

1. Alan says:

Looks good where do you get your farmette cream from?

2. Angela says:

When I saw this ice cream a few days ago, I knew I had to try it. Now I’m trying to do it, although it seems easy. Hope it will be as tasty as it seems. And congratulations about the book. I love your blog! 🙂

3. […] Irish coffee ice cream? Holy crap. This is a good summer recipe. Perfect breakfast! […]

4. […] speaking for the non-fruity team, we have Farmette.  It’s not just coffee ice cream, it’s Irish Coffee Ice Cream.  Since “Irish” is code for “booze,” we figure we have permission to make this and not […]

5. Mairead says:

Imen – Wishing you every success with your illustrated cookbook. I can’t wait to read it and enjoy your fabulous food photos.
    Believe it or not, I have lived in America for over twenty years now, and I still haven’t learned to drink coffee. My Irish palate just won’t adjust. Somehow tea ice cream just doesn’t sound good.
    Best wishes,
    Mairead

Hi Mairead, thank you so much! Stay tuned for tea ice cream…it is actually really delicious! x

6. This looks amazing! Coffee ice cream is def one of my favorites and loved the idea of adding a little Irish Whiskey to this recipe.

p.s: Oh and delighted to hear the news about your book, congrats! I love your blog Imen. best wishes 🙂

7. Caitriona says:

A bit late catching up with some of my favourite reads.
    That Irish Coffee icecream looks just divine Imen, beautiful photos too.
    Best of luck with your book, it will be wonderful, will look forward to it 🙂

8. Tesei says:

Congratulations! I am sooo much looking forward to your book, keep us posted!!!!

9. Lorna says:

Delighted to hear the news about your book. Best of luck with the process and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh 🙂
    My daughter is delighted with all these cook books 🙂

10. Nessa Robins says:

Imen, I’m so thrilled for you. I absolutely adore your blog – the writing, recipes and photographs are just so beautiful. I’ll be first in line for my copy of your book 🙂

Thanks hon, we are just adoring your book here. Going to do giveaway on next post =) Hope all is well. xx

I’m so thrilled that you are finding the words to write again. 🙂 I cannot wait to read your story, and for the weather to get warm enough to eat ice cream again. 🙂

Thank you Krista! When is your book coming out? Your life is incredible! Warm wishes to you xx

12. Carolanne says:

Oh I’m thrilled for you Imen, such an exciting time! Big fans of farmette in our house, just can’t wait to get a copy of the book. Wishing you the best of luck with it xx

Thanks a million Carolanne, love following your journey so much! And, next time you are in Ireland we WILL schedule a visit for sure =) xx

13. Ohhhhh. Coffee ice cream is one of my favorites – would love to try this – for a while I was going through a pint of Starbucks java chip ice cream at home every week – so excited for your cookbook and film – you must be very proud – love the photos as well!!!:)

Totally make some Elizabeth and add choccy chips into the mix, yum! I am more nervous than proud…this has all been such a new adventure for me! Thanks hon x

14. Heidrun says:

Wrote On your Facebook …

And here again: Like The Irish side of Life in my Soul …

… And therefore I found this Site , I believe in this meaning

Here is an Irish Post too: http://happy-hour-with-picts.blogspot.de/2013/06/montagsherz.html
    Of an artist, my lovely Friend Michaela, who makes Origami

Cheers, Heidrun

15. Sarah says:

Yeah! I can only imagine how wonderful a book from you would be. And this ice cream sounds amazing. xo

16. This looks amazing! Coffee ice cream is my all-time favorite, and no matter how many other varieties I make-or how good they are-it always will be. We have a great coffee roaster here in Chattanooga known as Velo…you should get your friend that moved here to send you some of their beans sometime. They have officially ruined all other coffee for us! And good luck with the proposal. I for one would definitely buy your book. Preorder it even 🙂

Thank you so much Mary, I will def share with Sonia! And, you are so very sweet about the book, thank you! x

17. MikeVFMK says:

First off, that coffee ice cream looks simply incredible. Need that in my life. And hip hip on the impending book. It is one I would happily cook and read from. All the best on the journey!

Micheal, thank you very much. The feeling is mutual when Man Made Food comes out I need to buy two copies one for me and one for the farmer!! Make sure there is loads of instructive visuals =) xx

18. Christina says:

Good luck, Imen, but I know that you truly don’t need any. You are veritably talented in many ways and there are no pretenses about you, which I love. Yours is a blog which I never tire of viewing, and although you are in Ireland, many things you write about remind me of Scotland, which I miss terribly. I’m sure your book will be a success; just keep doing what you’re doing…it’s all lovely!

P.S. I don’t drink coffee, but ADORE coffee ice-cream! Will have to try yours!

Hi Christina, that is just so kind of you to say! if there ever was any pretense about me, it got lost along this journey many moons ago so I really appreciate your sentiment. You just reminded me that many of the mothers in our neighbourhood didn’t drink coffee ,but they loved coffee ice cream. I like that =) Thanks again. Imen xx

19. KathleenC says:

I forgot to add that I love the photo of Geoffrey with the hose. It reminds me so much of days running through the sprinkler. We’re moving this Summer and will leave our little backyard creek behind. So fully I intend to set up a sprinkle plastic pool for our friend’s kids at our house warming party. And I may have to do a little test run-through myself!

Awww thanks so much Kathleen! Your wishes of luck mean a lot! And, yes! Do the sprinkler for sure! xx

20. KathleenC says:

You are so right… (although I never had Blue Moon Ice Cream) my Father’s favorite ice cream flavor has always been coffee, and I enjoy it now as an adult.

I do wish you all sorts of luck with the book! I look forward to reading it too!

21. That is some seriously gorgeous looking ice cream. The flavors are so simple yet complex. Beautiful!

Thank you Jocelyn, the flavour is outstanding and holds many memories for me. Thanks for your comment. X

22. Jenny Depa says:

Thanks for the recipe… I’m going to try it with my goats milk [which I have an abundance right now].

Also, best wishes, I’ll be first in-line for your book!?

Oooooh it would be amazing with goat’s milk! Let me know how you get on Jenny! Thanks for your enouragement. x

23. Mona Wise says:

Imen,
    The journey continues and I expect it will be a fabulous roller coaster ride. Best of luck!
    Love the hose shot with your little man.
    xx

Thank you so much Mona! Ah yes, and nyou are well familiar with the roller coaster as well…x

24. Kathryn says:

Good luck with the book proposal; it sounds like it’s going to be a wonderful book and I can’t wait to read it.

25. This looks incredibly good! Did you make the chocolate dipped cones yourself too? Love.

It’s super yummy! I bought the cones with chocolate tops..they just add more beauty to the flavour scheme! Thanks for reading and commenting xx

26. Aimée says:

That will be a book I’ll add to my wish list. Congratulations! It sounds like the start of an interesting new journey.