Welsh Cakes

19 May 2013

welsh

Sundays are the one day of the week where I am not preparing 2-3 separate brekkies. Richard can usually take a break from late morning until late afternoon so we’ll share a lazy, simple brunch of something like eggs, American crispy bacon and buttermilk pancakes {Geoffrey’s favorite}. Sometimes I’ll splash out and whiz up a full Irish or an eggs benny, or if we’ve had friends for dinner the previous evening, an easy strata that I prepared the day before and can just pop into the oven. If I have a hardcore hankering for home, I’ll do a version of a Sunday favourite that I used to share with a special friend, a breakfast quesadilla made with egg whites, salsa fresco, fresh guacamole, farmer cheese and fresh herbs from the garden. We try to make Sundays sublime.

hen

This morning I woke up with a mind whirring on about Welsh cakes. Similar to griddle scones, they have added fruit in the form of currants or raisins and are cooked on a griddle or in a frying pan. These charming little cakes originate from nearby Wales, and can also be referred to as a bakestone cake. Feeling the will of the wisps this morning, we simply swapped Geoffrey’s fluffy pancakes for fruity Welsh cakes and he was equally delighted.

I have had several requests for the recipe today, so I wanted to quickly oblige….hope you enjoy them as much as we did. They can be served at tea time (late afternoon) or anytime really, including 8pm on a Sunday night….

Welsh Cakes
{makes about 16}

225g plain flour
85g caster sugar
½ tsp mixed spice or cinnamon
½ tsp baking powder
100g butter, cut into small pieces, plus extra for frying
50g currants
1 egg, beaten
splash milk

1. Combine the flour, sugar, mixed spice, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Then, with your fingers, rub in the butter until crumbly. Mix in the currants. Work the egg into the mixture until you have soft dough, adding a splash of milk if it seems a little dry – it should be the same consistency as shortcrust pastry.

2. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to the thickness of your little finger. Cut out rounds using a 6cm cutter, re-rolling any trimmings. Grease a flat griddle pan or heavy frying pan and place over a medium heat. Cook the Welsh cakes in batches, for about 3 mins each side, until golden brown, crisp and cooked through. Delicious served warm with butter and jam, or simply sprinkled with caster sugar. Cakes will stay fresh in a tin for 1 week.

Photo by Imen McDonnell 2013. Hand model: Geoffrey McDonnell

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “Welsh Cakes”

1. Tina says:

The bake stone is what the welsh cakes are cooked on, not another name for Welsh cakes.

2. Jennifer says:

I made these the other week for my family – one of those midnight baking sprees I have…. We are not big on raisins, so I substituted chopped dried cranberries. I was unable to test if they keep for a week – they disappeared in less than 24 hours! This recipe will be a breakfast staple for us. Can’t wait to try other fruits!

3. […] posso dirvi che sono buonissimi e che piaceranno a tutti, grandi e piccoli. La ricetta viene da qui, sono dolci di tradizione gallese, a convincermi è stata prima di tutto la facilità di […]

4. David Smith says:

This recipe was simple and fun. Perfect for weekend breakfast-making. The kids loved them…we all did. Thanks for sharing!
    here’s my pic;

5. tara says:

I want Welsh Cakes in our weekend. I honestly think I look forward to Saturday and Sunday mornings more than the nights. Give me a proper breakfast over a night on the town, any day.

6. Amy says:

Welsh Cakes! Being Welsh, these remind me so much of home. Mum would go for months without baking and then suddenly go on a spree, cooking hundreds of Welsh Cakes to be doled out to my father’s workmates or just to be scarfed in the cupboard.

Also, I love that you mentioned having them with just sugar. All the non-Welsh people I know have them with butter and jam — which is undoubtably delicious, but the true Welsh Cake only need sugar!

7. Alicia says:

Yum! I think that I need these at 4pm with a good cup of tea. I’ve had them several times at this time but never for breakfast. But thank you for giving me another excuse and time to eat them!

8. linda evans says:

I learned of these little delights while visiting my husband’s aunties in Wales while studying in London, and fell in love with them. I made them for my father-in-law when back in Canada as he hadn’t had one since leaving Wales in WWII. He nearly devoured the whole lot in one sitting! At Christmas I add raisins and mixed fruit to ‘doll’ them up a bit. My children come home at Christmas and head straight for the Welsh Cakes when they enter the house – sometimes before saying ‘hello’, so I am convinced that they would not come home unless they are in the larder. Years ago it became difficult to find ‘mixed spice’ and I began hoarding it. As it dwindled, I wrote the spice companies and to my delight two of them, who had discontinued it, sent me the recipe so that the tradition can continue. They are simple fare, but a classic.

How lovely. 🙂 I adore those days when we can take a break from work and linger at the table over delish comfort foods like this. 🙂 I introduced Bear to Mexican food this week and would love to make him a breakfast burrito. I just need to track down black beans – they’re very difficult to find here in Oz. 🙂

10. looks perfect to me.
    with a side of 2 shots of espresso and some half & half; perfect way to start off sunday.