Sh’mores

11 Oct 2012

I’m going straight to food hell. I think I may have just Irish-ised the S’more. Well, not officially, but when you tally up all the tweaks and titches I’ve tainted applied to the original All-American S’more ingredients along with the added Irish country “h” to make it a Sh’more, it’s pretty damned close. Save me.

A few things mashed up at the same time for me to arrive at the intersection of Ireland + S’more street. Firstly, I was driving Geoffrey to school one morning when he asked, “Mommy, can we have sh-teak for supper tonite?” I immediately pulled the car over to the side of the road where we had a calm little chat. I asked him to repeat what he had said. He repeated, “Mom, can we pleeeaaase have sh-tttteak tonite?”

I swallowed hard.

It was inevitable. He is acquiring that auld’ countryside colliquialism, common in the southwest and west of Ireland whereby the addition of ‘h’ can heard in the dialect. I saw it coming, and we’ve already been painstakingly practicing our lispy th’s, trying to avoid ‘tree’ for three or ‘turd’ for third, etcetera etcetera. And, I am well used to the dropping of the tt’s, as in li–le (little) or bu–on (button). But, now we have sh-teak. There are so many trees and turds and I don’t know if I can keep up. I know it’s part and parcel, but I refuse to  submit to the sht-eak.

Fast forward five days. I am asked by Irish food writer + advocate, Aoife Carrigy, to participate in her For Food’s Sake event at the Dingle Food Festival(if you haven’t been, book in for next year-accommodations go fast!). Basically, she invited a slew of food journalists, artisans, butchers and bloggers to meet her on the top of a big blue bus in the centre town and discuss food memories. Ummmmm, how fun is that?

After much deliberation, I chose to share a toothsome childhood treat which is near and dear to my heart: S’mores.

Or as my son calls them, Sh’mores.

Geoffrey and I spent a day preparing tasty biscuit, chocolate and marshmallow bites to share with the audience. I even baked homemade graham crackers for the occasion. {okay, so I didn’t have a choice in that matter.} We decided to stage a mad campfire scene in which Geoffrey would sit holding a marshmallow on a twig and pretend to roast it while Woody Guthrie’s This Land Is Your Land played gallantly in the background. Kitschy and camp, but that scene sums up my memory of being 7 at Camp Tapawingo on a summer’s night, making s’mores over a blazing fire and singing songs with a group of fellow kiddy campers.

So,

1 colliquialism

1 food memory

2 homemade wholemeal graham crackers {using Dunany Irish wholemeal flour}

1 bar of Irish sea salt dark chocolate

1 American Jet-Puff marshmallow from a bag smuggled overseas in a suitcase or Marshmallow Fluff from Fallon & Byrne

1 “H”

Oh, and just for good {devilish} measure-

1 tsp of crumbled crispy streaky Irish bacon rashers

=

The Sh’More

Here’s how to do it!

Mini Sh’mores Tarts

(Makes 18-3 fluted tarts (or 1 9 tart)

1 cup graham cracker crumbs (I used this recipe with Irish Dunany Fine Wholemeal Flour)

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

2 tablespoons organic white sugar

150g dark chocolate, chopped (I used Cocoa Bean Co Dark Choc Sea Salt)

6 streaky, crispy bacon rashers (I use M&S crispy, streaky Irish bacon rashers) *optional

18 large marshmallows, 18 spoonfuls of marshmallow fluff or 3-4 mini marshmallows per tart

Instructions:

Melt butter and set aside.

In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse the graham crackers and sugar.  When mixture resembles coarse sand, add melted butter.

Press mixture into individual fluted tart tins, miniature muffin pan or 9in tart tin (spray with a bit of cooking spray).

Bake in preheated 350/180c* oven for 8-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Place chopped chocolate in a glass bowl set over a pan of simmering water. When completely melted take off the pan and set aside to cool slightly

Cook bacon until crisp. Place onto plate with kitchen paper to absorb grease and set aside. When cool, crumble finely.

Assembly:

Spoon 1 teaspoon of bacon crumbles into pre-baked crusts.

Spoon 2-3 teaspoons of melted dark chocolate on top of bacon crumbles.

Top with large or small marshmallows or a large spoonful of marshmallow fluff.

Place under hot grill (or under broiler) to melt the top of marshmallow (do not turn your back even for a minute, it can burn fast!) Alternatively you can torch the marshmallows.

Top with a bit of leftover bacon crumbles

Will keep in fridge for 3 days but best eaten straight away.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 Responses to “Sh’mores”

1. […] SH’MORES with Irish flare?!! Yup. Rashers and all. I’m totally intrigued. Ahhh!!!  […]

2. Hi, Imen! Just to let you know that this dish made the list of the 25 mouthwatering dishes from different blogs in From Brazil To You…Cheers!

3. Tonette says:

I have dropped in sporadically , but now I have Facebook reminders.I’ll try not to be a pest but I get so much out of the way your relate and write …and I love this one to no end. Here I am , reading and savoring your blog and ignoring my own, which should tell you how much I enjoy yours. Now I am convinced,I need to put my funnier stories in mine.

4. Niamh says:

I just wanted to say this litttle story about the Sh-teak, is the first thing to make me smile all day!! I’m from the west of Ireland, but I’m currently studying Vet Med in Slovakia & suffering a terrible bout of homesickness!
    I can hear that Culchie “Sh-” loud and clear, I hear myself saying it when I get a bit too excited, and my own inner farmer creeps out! Thanks for making me smile, and for giving a whole new source of fabulous recipes (living this far from home means I also need to learn to cook properly!)…
    Go raibh mile maith agat, agus slan leat,
    Niamh!

5. [...] some s’mores over a bonfire. Aswell as make these from [...]

6. Kathy says:

I love this post and your blog in general! I just returned to the States from Ireland where I met my significant other’s family and farm for the first time. I will likely be in your shoes eventually, i.e. city girl on an Irish farm, but I doubt I’ll make it look half as charming/classy as you do! One thing for sure is my future children will be appreciating s’mores if it’s the last thing I do.

7. Brad says:

I love this template! It’s so clean and crisp, and the notepad colours are brilliant. (I like your blog too, by the way, but assume that goes without saying).

Oh my gosh, these have got to be the best s’mores EVER!! :-) I introduced my Aussies to them this summer but they’ve never heard of graham crackers, nor do they have Hershey chocolate bars, so we’re in the process of making our own Aussie-fied version. :-)

9. Ann says:

Those look divine! Loved this post. I recently brought 3 jars of Strawberry Fluff back to the States from Westport. I declared as food. When questioned by Customs what I meant by food, I was told “In all my years, no one has ever declared marshmallow fluff”. I guess it’s not the typical Irish souvenir.

As for the dialect, my father’s use of trow for throw always made us chuckle. His roots are Kerry. Never knew it was regional. Always thought it was all of Ireland.

10. Kathryn says:

These are some of the first s’mores (or sh’mores) that I’ve ever actually wanted to eat. You make them look and sound irresistible.

Thank you Kathryn…they were pretty damn good, I must admit! It’s been years since I ate a s’more and the bacon really was a nice flavor boost! x

11. mimiindublin says:

Reminds me of a local young lad when I was growing up, when my mother asked what he’d like for dinner “stheak” and how he’d like it cooked “Roshthed”, lol

Oh my, forgot about “roashted” HA! That is common in these parts as well…funny..thanks for the comment and the reminder =) x

12. Cathy Norrie says:

Thanks for this great little story, Imen. So cute about Geoffrey picking up the dialect. … And the smores, oh my – brings back so many memories of the campfire on the beach at our northern Canadian lake during those long summer evenings.

13. Emily says:

Holy, these shmore’s look shtunning. I’m quasi off added-sugar foods during the week, so this has me looking forward to the weekend even more than usual. And I love your writing — so quick, clever, entertaining. :) Always a chuckle. Thanks!

14. Joan says:

Camp Tapawingo? As in Nokesville, Va?
    …and YUM to the twist on our bonfire favorite. With a cute story topping. Perfect.

15. Brenda says:

This post just made me laugh out loud ! Love it, love it so much . We are an Irish family In USA and smores are our very favourite thing about New England summers ! We do ours with nutella and our neighbours believe that is a sin. These look just divine… It’s funny we have a reversal of pronunciation problems with our boys here ! Again ….just love this post !

16. nancy says:

BACON? what the what? as a vegetarian expat living in Shmireland i am shocked, shocked i say! they look delicious…

I know right??? It is damn good…well you can still use the Irish ingredients and leave out the bacon =) Thanks for your comment xx

17. Kate says:

Great post, Imen. I have always wondered what s’mores are…and graham crackers. I recently had an embarrassing experience whilst in New York when I loudly exclaimed in the middle of a busy shop ‘Oh my god, they have twinkies! I never knew what they looked like!’ – which sent everyone in the shop into fits of laughing.

I love the addition of bacon in your pimped-up Irish version.

By the way, have you seen this site for American foods – they ship here: http://www.usafoodstore.co.uk

OMG. Twinkies. A Blast from the PAST! I would die for a Twinkie right now….despite having a plate of kale salad in front of me Kate!!! That is a great story, love it. + LOVE “pimped-up” Irish version…must use that. THanks and hope to see you soon! x

18. Melissa says:

Those look delicious! I bet your son’s accent is precious as can be.

19. Móna Wise says:

I do not allow it Imen. Not the Shteak, turds or trees … I pull the car over every time and make them annunciate each word as it is meant to be spoken – because that is what my mother did.

We had elocution lessons as part of our school curriculum when I was in elementary school and also grew up in the country … not in the city.
    (This, That, These and Those … that’s the way the TH goes!)

I moved to the US as a young woman and trust me, as nice as the Americans were (and still are) about welcoming foreigners into their country I will never forget the ribbing I got for pronouncing ‘calm’ as cam instead of ‘cawm’ or ‘vitamin’ as VIT-amin instead of ‘V-eye-tamin’. Our house is very much American-English for him and Irish-English for me so we straddle a fine line making sure they sound as American as he needs them to sound and as Irish as I expect them to sound. But no shteak here …

Now Shmores ….. we could be talked into. They look fab and I need that graham cracker recipe because we still cannot find those darned crackers here!

HA! I KNEW you’d get it Mona. Yeah…we must chat about this..I am surprised the teachers allow this actually, it goes against proper grammar in some cases. THese graham crackers are good…but you really need the graham flour to make proper honey grahams I think. See you at SavourKK. xx

20. Rowaida says:

Amazing post Imen, I would love to visit Ireland, my brother and family lived in Dublin, they moved and I did not have the chance to visit the country. I love your recipe and the photos are beautiful. It will be a pleasure to meet you one day Imen.
    Best wishes xo

THanks R! You are so lovely and kind…must check in with your photos to see what you are up to…your life intrigues me! x

If it makes you feel better, sometimes M says “book” and “cook” with a long oo, as in moo, which is a real local thing. I have to stop myself from correcting her when she does it!

Oh my! They do say that around here as well…ooook. It’s ooky. Oh well. Nice to hear we’re not alone =)))

22. Lisa says:

Okay, now it’s official. I want to move to Ireland and eat your homemade sh’mores by a campfire. Sound and look pretty amazing.

For what it’s worth, I think the added “h” is a charming addition….especially to sh’teak and sh’mores! L~