A Farmer’s Meringue

22 Dec 2011

Richard’s favourite Christmas dessert is a massive. sloppy meringue covered with loads of cream and fresh fruit. Pavlova, roulade…anything of the like, and he goes crazy for it. I finally got around to attempting meringues this week as a holiday treat ‘just for him’

{20. 12.11 text message conversation}

Farmer: Did you make them yet?

Me: Make what? I am whipping the meringues right now, can’t talk

Farmer: Yes, meringues

Me: Yes, meringues! Speak tonite

Farmer: Did they turn out good?

Me: You can try one tonite *nearly drops phone into bowl of stiff peaks of egg whites*

Farmer: Right so x *back to feeding cattle*

Me: x

They worked. A few cracks, but oh… so… softly-crunchy-melt-in-your-mouth-delicious.
He told me that if that is all he got for Christmas, he’d be one satisfied farmer.

Here’s the recipe. Very simple….just don’t overwhip and if you have a fan oven start at 140 and turn down to 130.

Farmer’s Meringue

Makes 4 Large “Farmer Size” or 8 Small Meringue Nests

2 Large eggs

4 oz/110 g caster (superfine) sugar

Preheat oven to 300F/150C /Gas Mark 2

Place the egg whites in a large bowl and, using an electric hand whisk on a low speed, begin whisking. Continue for about

2 minutes, until the whites are foamy, then switch the speed to medium and carry on whisking for 1 more minute.

Now turn the speed to high and continue whisking until the egg whites reach the stiff-peak stage.

Next, whisk the sugar in on fast speed, a little at a time (about a dessertspoon), until you have a stiff and glossy mixture.

Spoon 8 heaped dessertspoons of the mixture on to your baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing them evenly.

Then, using the back of the spoon or a small palette knife, hollow out the centres.

Don’t worry if they are not all the same shape – random and rocky is just right.

Next, place the baking sheet on the centre shelf of the oven, immediately reduce the heat to gas mark 1, 275°F (140°C) and leave them for 30 minutes.

After that, turn the oven off and leave the meringues to dry out in the warmth of the oven until it is completely cold (usually about 4 hours).

Serve topped with cream and fresh fruit or berries!

The winner of the beautiful book, A Taste of Cork, is Annetje Roodenburg!  Congratulations Annetje and thanks again to everyone else who left a lovely comment here. Annetje, please email me at imen.producer@ireland.com with your mailing/postal address.

Nollaig Shona Duit,

Photos and Styling by Imen McDonnell 2011 {Shot with Loftus lens Hipstamatic}

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “A Farmer’s Meringue”

1. Sara says:

So glad to have found your blog via #ff on twitter. My mother-in-law and I were just talking about making this for a new years eve party she is going to–must be a sign. Your blog makes me think of the Darina Allen cookbook I got for my birthday this year–I dream of taking a course there someday! Happy New Year!

2. nessa robins says:

We are also meringue fans and your festive ones look fantastic! Wishing you and your family a Happy Christmas and health & happiness for 2012.

3. Ilke says:

I always mess up meringues so I don’t even try them anymore. Yours look wonderful.
    Have a great Holiday season!

4. Marie says:

After having moved to Ireland I never could develop a taste for pavlova which is unfortunate in that it IS a very common dessert or “pudding” as they call desserts here. I do miss American-style cheesecake which I fortunately can make for myself. But now when it comes to bannoffee pie and mince pies, OMG! Absolute heaven! And oh the irish pudding! Had one bought from Tesco and was surprised to see one of the ingredients is irsh moonshine otherwise known as poitin! One would NEVER see anything store-bought in the US with one of the ingredients being moonshine! Ireland never ceases to amaze me! Merry Christmas or rather HAPPY Christmas!

5. Jessica says:

Merry Christmas Imen & Richard! I tried to follow this beautiful recipe but alas, I have a black thumb when it comes to cooking. It was a runny mess but tasted great!

Happy eating!
    Jess

6. Annetje says:

What a lovely post, the merengues look absolutely delicious and christmassy with the red fruit.
    The end of the post was even nicer, what a fantastic Christmas present to win the beautyful book! Thank you so much. Look forward to be back in Dublin after Christmas and finding the book!
    Have a happy Christmas,
    Annetje

7. Nenaghgal says:

Looks great, still have never made Meringues myself…although always say I will!
    Happy Christmas to you and your family. Look forward to a proper meet up soon.
    Best, Lisa

8. Your gorgeous photo has completely won me over, I’ve never had the urge to make a dessert like this before, but now I am excited to try. It looks like the most luscious combination of crunch and cream. Can’t wait!

9. @nenonumama says:

They look absolutely devine. I love the photo borders too, do you do them in PhotoShop or is that a trade secret? I wish I could eat one!