carrotpancakes

There once was a little boy named Fionn who lived on a farm

on a green, green island

in the blue, blue sea.

On Fionn’s farm there were a handful of happy cows, a few clucky chickens,

and a gigantic garden filled with the most tremendously tasty vegetables.

But little Fionn did not like vegetables.

He would not eat them.

Never.

Ever.

Since it is “Pancake Tuesday” in Ireland, I am sharing with you a lovely recipe for sweet carrot pancakes which our little boy fashioned after he pulled his very first round of carrots from the garden. It is now virtually the only way to get him to eat these yummy vegetables.

I thought it would be fun to share an excerpt from a children’s picture story I wrote a few years ago and brought all the way to the Bologna Book Fair , hoping we could meet with a publisher to very politely persuade to publish it.  Little did I know, the book fair was focused on books that were already sold and shopping rights to other parts of the world and/or television and film. Didn’t sell the book, but definitely learned a lot and got to enjoy at least one brilliant bowl of Bolognese!

The story, which is about a small Irish boy named Fionn who lives on a farm and won’t eat his vegetables (sound familiar?) includes Geoffrey’s clever recipe for carrot pancakes at the end of the book.

His carrot pancakes go a little like this….

First, you’ll need to find the freshest, most brightly-coloured organic carrots {preferably pulled from your very own garden} and with mommy’s help, grate one or two along with a little bit of sweet orange zest…

Mix it into your pancake batter, making sure you can see all the fun orange bits, of course

Pour em’ onto your griddle and wait until they bubble up and turn golden on both sides. We like to garnish with home-made cinnamon + vanilla butter and icing sugar, but you can use pure maple syrup or golden syrup or anything your heart desires….

Happy Pancake Tuesday!

Photos & Styling by Imen McDonnell.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Fionn’s Sweet Carrot Pancakes”

1. Tried them. Grandkids suspicious due to orange thingies. Distracted them with butter spread thick and the syrup of course. They were consumed. Thanks a million. Love your blog. I’ve been to Ireland many many many times and your blog helps me from aching about it too much.

Hurrah! They are lovely and sweet…not carrot-y at all! Glad they worked out and delighted that the blog eases your longing for Ireland =) xx

2. grannymar` says:

Very interesting recipe. Congratulations on reaching the list of Finalists for IBA11. I look forward to meeting you on the night.

Oh, I love children’s stories!! This is a delightful idea, Imen. And now my brain is whirling for other ideas for veggies to hide in regular things. 🙂

4. Amanda says:

Wonderful! My daughter is allergic to eggs, and so I do a version where the pancakes are bound by pureed carrots or sweet potato. They have the approximate heft and texture of roofing insulation. I shall try your method for the grown ups!

5. Jacinta says:

Oooh love love LOVE this book idea and the sweet/clever idea of ending with recipes! I wonder if you included a few different sneaky veg recipes if it would have both a cookbook and children’s book angle? I used to work at Random House and will reach out to some former coworkers and friends now to see if they have any connections in Children’s dept—you have to submit this proposal!

Hi Jacinta, thank you so, so much for the children’s story love! I would welcome any and all recos regarding submitting a proposal! I’d love to submit this story to a house that is international and pray for a response, but I don’t even know where to start so thank you for your enthusiasm. Please do email me at imen.producer@ireland.com if you have any suggestions =) You’ve made my day!! xx Now I need to catch up on your blog =)

Hi Jacinta, thank you so, so much for the children’s story love! I welcome any and all recos regarding submitting a proposal! I’d love to submit this story to a house that is international and pray for a response, but I don’t even know where to start so thank you for your enthusiasm. Please do email me at imen.producer@ireland.com if you have any suggestions =) You’ve made my day!! xx Now I need to catch up on your blog =)

6. Melinda says:

Very adorable and I never really thought to put carrots in pancakes – perhaps that would work on my nephews…Good luck with the book!

7. Love love your recipes so delicious, gorgeous photos