Our little boy became a “big kid” this week on the farm.

For his 5th birthday

we decided to make use of

what we are fortunate to have right before us

and celebrate with a

good

old-fashioned

kiddie’s farm fête.

So, we rounded up our two darling donkeys,

A sweet cow and her dotey calf

And three clucky chickens

{yes, the farmer is participating in Movember}

We made loads of fairy cakes to decorate (pictured top)

and homemade marshmallows + caramel corn

We used our very own honey for my special honey bbq beef brisket

that went with Martha’s Perfect Mac & Cheese

Our friend, Claire, created the most magnificent + yummy tractor cake

When the party was ended

each child was given a bag of goodies to take home

The sun was shining

Our faces were smiling

And our big kid was a happy, happy boy.

My Easy Honey BBQ Pulled Beef Brisket

serves 12

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 3-4 pound beef brisket (in Ireland try the beef rib roast)

1 18-ounce bottle of high quality barbecue sauce

2 onions, chopped

1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce

1/4 cup honey

12 freshly baked soft rolls

Mix together minced garlic, salt, onion powder, paprika and pepper. Rub over the brisket.

Place sliced onion on bottom of slow cooker

In a small bowl mix the barbecue sauce, onions, Worchestershire sauce

Place the brisket in the slow-cooker and pour over the sauce. Spoon in the honey. Cook on low 10 hours or until the brisket is fork-tender. Pull the beef apart into strips.

Ladle the cooking liquid into a bowl or glass measuring cup and skim off the fat. Mix the juices with pulled beef. Serve on rolls

Photos by Imen McDonnell. Assisted by Master Geoffrey McDonnell

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “Autumn Farm Fête, Kid Style”

1. retro sweets says:

Wow, the beef brisket made me salivate. You have a very handsome boy! Mine will be turning four this April and I’m thinking of copying your cake. I have 4 months to experiment. 🙂

What’s inside the goodie bags? Candies?

2. Cathy Stephens says:

Imen,

Well done, as always, my dear! xxoo

3. Naomi says:

Fab day Imen. Imogen was talking about your marshmallows all the way home.

4. MissChicago says:

I had so much fun just reading through the blog and the pictures, — how much more the real thing! Thanks and happy birthday to the little man. He is so cute.

5. Wow Imen, what a beautiful party. Your little boy is very lucky to have a mammy to put so much effort in for his big day. The goodie bags look so cute, so much nicer than shop bought bags, I may borrow that idea one day.

6. vickscakes says:

Wow that looks like a great party, i want to have one myself now… the cake is so cute, i think my boyfriend would fall in love with it if he saw it!! Even the John Deere logo is amazing. Congrats, photos are brill aswell Vickx

7. Christal says:

Looks like a fabulous party!!!!!!! That is a really cool cake Claire made. Love ur blog!! Happy Birthday Geoffrey!!!

8. Alisn says:

Wow, that looks amazing! I am definitely trying the beef brisket, my boyfriend and I are drooling just looking at it! Beautiful photos.

9. Looks like an amazing birthday party, Imen – and you even made time to style your food photos! Well done you. I love the little goodie bags.

Thanks so much Caroline. I really didn’t do much styling…the light was incredible on the day and I really just threw it all together! xx

10. Amy Nossum says:

Beautiful!! Once again I am salivating across the pond in Minnesota! My little guy just turned 7 this past weekend, and what I wouldn’t give for him to experience all that you photo’d. But homemade marshmallows? I’ve never heard of this. I’ll now be googling how it’s done. Thank you for such a lovely post, and happy birthday to your little man as well :o)

11. TheGlutton says:

Oh this looks like it was such a fantastic party Imen!! Fabulous food ideas there – and that Pulled Beef Brisket is looks simply mouth-watering. The cake is stunning – your friend is so talented. Your little boy is gorgeous too – belated happy birthday!

Thanks darling…was meant to be pulled pork, but couldn’t source a shoulder roast around here! The beef went over well, thankfully! The kids had fun…so many more photos but you can only share so much! Thanks again for your comment. xx

Awww, how fun!! Happy birthday to your little man. 🙂 The cake is fantastic!! I love all the homey touches and hands-on fun for the kids. My god-daughters would’ve loved it too. 🙂

Thanks Krista! It was great fun…my friend is so good with cakes isn’t she?! You’re too kind, thanks again =) xx

Can I have my next birthday party at your house please, complete with homemade marshmallows? Everything looks incredible! What a lucky boy.

Thanks Kristin! Gotta love the slow cooker for big birthday parties! The marshmallows are from Bill Granger’s Holiday book and are sooo yummy! xx

14. Clare says:

Absolutely stunning!! Those marshmallows look divine…talk about a cloud of sweet dreams! 🙂 You really outdid yourself and I’m sure Geoffrey will remember this party for the rest of his life. Really stunning!

Aww Clare, thank you!! It was really fun! The marshmallows were divine and pretty easy! Thanks again, see you on Saturday for our Thanksgiving feast! xx

• Kassie says:

Whoever edits and pubslihes these articles really knows what they’re doing.

Interesting. The woman who wrote the recipe is from Dungarvan, Co Waterford where Blaas originated. It’s a classic!